What is VoIP Hot Desking and Why Do You Need It?2.7 min read
Derived from a “share culture”, Hot Desking refers to a concept that office workers sharing the same physical workspace (desk) during different time periods. Several employees sharing an office desk has been a trend in workplaces for years, organizations taking this practice mainly aim to cut budgets on office space rental. In the VoIP industry, Hot Desking refers to the feature enabled in an IP Phone and a PBX phone system.
What is Hot Desking in a VoIP Phone System?
Why Do Businesses Need Hot Desking?
1. Save Costs on Buying More Hardware
Many businesses are expanding therefore a call center is set up to enhance customer experience by offering customers support or handling their queries. Shift work is a common employment practice for a call center. With a PBX phone system that has a Hot Desking feature, businesses no longer need a dedicated IP phone for each worker. Employees sharing the same desk and phone can just sit down and log in their own extension when the shift rotates to his/hers. In this way, not only usage of each phone device is maximized, but investments in phone-related peripherals can be avoided too.
2. Focus More on Work By Offering More Flexibility
Desk sharing as a trend has been going for years in many companies, it enhances agility and increases collaboration in the workplace. Workers sharing a desk require a Hot Desking enabled phone system too. With a desk phone on each desk, employees can choose whichever seat available for them, use the phone by logging into their own extension number, and access to their own profiles, contacts, voicemails, and other features. It makes them feel empowered to work at a different desk, pick up, and make phone calls just like they used to.
Some enterprises may deploy IP phones in the meeting rooms across the building, employees are able to have a conference call with their clients in any meeting room they’d like to. Walk into the room, simply log in their own extension then they’re ready for phone calls. Moreover, making calls always with your own extension number enhances your professional image in front of your customers.
Hot Desking on Yeastar PBX System
Coming along with the above benefits, Yeastar PBX system Hot Desking feature allows:
- Log in and log out of the IP phone easily and quickly without rebooting the desk phone.
- Even easier, by configuring the IP phone line keys settings, users can just press a line key, enter extension numbers to log into the phone, and log out with a single press.
- Place and receive calls by the caller ID, routing strategy, etc. of your own extension.
- Based on your schedule, automatically log out your extension from the shared desk phone.
- The logout of associated queues can be synchronized when an agent logs out.
- Admins can manage the Hot Desking phones by monitoring the phone status or even force logging a user out of a phone.
- Business travelers, remote workers or employees with flexible schedules are able to use shared desk phones while sitting at desks.
Supported PBX Models: S50, S100, S300, Yeastar Cloud PBX, K2 IP-PBX
How to Configure Hot Desking on Yeastar PBX System
Configuring is super easy! What you need is only 3 main steps:
Step 1: Set Up a Hot Desking Phone
Step 2: Enable Hot Desking for an Extension User
Step 3: Test it
More about Yeastar PBX Hot Desking feature, configuration and the supported phone models: for S-Series VoIP PBX, for Yeastar Cloud PBX, for K2 IP-PBX.